Nothing says Christmas more than a traditional Christmas tree but sometimes we don't have ample space or we just feel like something a little different.
This year, why not take the "Make It Yourself" approach with this rustic, wooden tree that will be a feature in your home this Christmas and many more to come.
- 9 lengths of 42mm x 19mm x 1.2m pine (to make up the following pieces)
- Spacers x 26: 4.5cm
- Bottom Base: 60cm
- Top Base: 60cm
- Side Feet x 2: 28cm
- Branches x 25: 2 x 50cm, 2 x 48cm, 46cm, 44cm, 42cm, 40cm, 38cm, 36cm, 34cm, 32cm, 30cm, 28cm, 26cm, 24cm, 22cm, 20cm, 18cm, 16cm, 14cm, 13cm, 12cm, 11cm, 10cm
- 1 x 1.2m length of 20mm Dowel
- 5 x 30mm 8 gauge screws
- Wood glue
- Hand saw (or drop saw if you have access to one)
- Sand paper or an electric hand sander
- 20mm hole saw (for use with drill)
- Measuring tape
- Firstly, you will mark all pieces to length. It’s imperative to mark out the 9 lengths of timber in the following configuration:
- 50cm + 50cm + 18cm
- 48cm + 48cm +10cm + 11cm
- 46cm + 44cm + 12cm + 13cm
- 42cm + 40cm + 14cm + 16cm
- 38cm + 36cm + 20cm + 22cm
- 34cm + 32cm + 24cm + 26cm
- 30cm + 28cm + 28cm + 28cm
- 60cm + 60cm
- 26 x 4.5cm
- In the centre of every marked out piece of timber (except the 2 side feet) you will need to cut a hole for the dowel. Mark the centre of all pieces and drill the holes using your 20mm hole saw.
- Once the holes have been drilled, you can go ahead and cut each piece to length.
- Sand all edges and holes.
- Now it's time to prepare the base. The stability of your tree is extremely important for safety reasons - we don't want trees falling on heads at Christmas time! Take your bottom base piece and place the two side feet at either side to make a cross.
- Glue the top base piece over the feet ensuring the holes for the dowel line up in the top and bottom piece. Clamp and allow to dry. Turn the base over, pre-drill holes and screw them together.
- Place the dowel into the base so it is flush at the bottom. Pre-drill a hole in the side of the top base piece and screw the dowel in place.
- Now it's time to assemble the tree. Place alternating spacers and branches onto the dowel until all pieces have been used. You should have a small length of dowel remaining at the top to attach a star or angel.
- You're now ready to decorate!
Merry Christmas everyone.